Whether you like to play a healer or a stealthy spy, there’s lots of variety in the XDefiant classes. Ubisoft’s break-out arena shooter has a bit for everyone, no matter what playstyle is your favourite. With all the variety though, it might be hard to pick or understand the playstyles. Fret not, this guide has all the details you need on the XDefiant classes, including what they are and their abilities.
No matter which of the XDefiant classes are your favorite, you’ll also need to understand the XDefiant weapons at your disposal. Fret not though, we’ve prepared the best XDefiant guns for any and all classes ahead of the XDefiant release date.
All XDefiant classes
The XDefiant classes are:
- Libertad – Healer
- Phantoms – Control
- Echelon – Spy
- Cleaners – Area denial
- DedSec – Hacker
These are based on the XDefiant Factions, each of which specialises in a certain role. When thinking about your class, consider the Factions and the abilities you can choose from to define your role, as some will be better suited to certain XDefiant maps or XDefiant game modes.
For example, Phantoms are great for capturing and pushing objectives as their abilities help to control the battlefield. On the other hand, Echelon rely on subterfuge and stealth, giving them a harder time completing objectives in certain modes.
Teams will no doubt want a combination of each of the classes if they want to be successful.
You can see the XDefiant classes in action in this gameplay overview.
Below you can find more information about the classes, including the ultra, passive trait, and abilities of each class.
Healer – Libertad abilities
The Libertad freedom fighters are expert medics, no doubt thanks to the BioVida therapies they adapted for battlefield situations. You’ll need them on your team to stay alive and in the fight. This class has undoubtedly ruled the XDefiant meta since the first beta period, and they will likely continue to simply due to how useful the ability to heal on demands can be. Thanks to this, they also work with just about any of the best XDefiant loadouts, so pick your favorite.
Here are the Libertad abilities:
- Médico Supremo (Ultra) – provides a large health and healing boost for a limited time
- Espíritu de Libertad (Passive) – slowly heals you and nearby allies
- El Remedio (Ability) – heals allies until it is destroyed or cancelled
- BioVida Boost (Ability) – boosts total health and regen for you and nearby allies
Control – Phantom abilities
The Phantoms are ex-Ghosts who specialise in battlefield control. Through tanky and defensive abilities, Phantoms are the perfect control class. This makes them great for more objective based game modes like Escort. And if you want the ultimate combo, pair the Phantom class with setups like the best XDefiant M249 loadout or XDefiant MK 20 loadout, as these are great for controlling lanes and objectives.
Here are the Phantom abilities:
- Aegis (Ultra) – plasma shield with an electro-scattergun for close-quarters combat
- Hardened (Passive) – increased health
- Mag Barrier (Ability) – blocks incoming enemy fire and grenades
- Blitz Shield (Ability) – equip a tactical shield to block and melee enemies
Spy – Echelon abilities
The Echelon are expert spies adept in reconnaissance and subterfuge. This makes them an exciting stealth and spy class in XDefiant. If helping your team out through utility and stealth is your style, then the Echelon spy class is for you. They also work very well with SMG builds like the XDefiant Vector loadout and XDefiant MP7 loadout, some of the best weapons right now. Echelon gives you the perfect opportunity to get the drop on your enemy with these weapons, so give these deadly combos a go.
Here are the Echelon abilities:
- Sonar Goggles (Ultra) – reveal enemies and hunt them down with the classic Third Echelon 5.7 pistol
- Low Profile (Passive) – agent does not appear on enemy mini maps
- Intel Suit (Ability) – shares the location of nearby enemies with your team
- Digital Ghillie Suit (Ability) – renders the agent nearly invisible, but movement and aiming reduce the effect
Area denial – Cleaner abilities
The Cleaners use fire as their solution to everything, making them the main assault and area denial in XDefiant. You’ll need a Cleaner on your team to stay on the offensive and push enemies out of strong positions. Given how versatile this character can be, they work well with just about anything, from the best XDefiant ACR loadout to the XDefiant MP5 loadout. Perhaps most interestingly though, the Cleaner’s passive can be used to make Dragon’s Breath shotguns out of builds like the XDefiant M870 loadout.
Here are the Cleaner abilities:
- The Purifier (Ultra) – wield a flamethrower
- Incendiary Rounds (Passive) – inflicts extra burn damage but decreases weapon range
- Incinerator Drone (Ability) – a napalm-delivering drone burns everything in its path
- Firebomb (Ability) – throw a Molotov to cause explosive damage and ignite the surrounding area
Hacker – DedSec abilities
DedSec are renowned hackers, experts in all things chaos and disruption. This class disrupts the enemy in several ways, giving your team the advantage in a gunfight. Again, DedSec are surprisingly versatile, pairing well with any weapon you use. You could use the Spiderbot in tandem with the XDefiant TAC-50 loadout to line up headshots, or you could dive right in with the XDefiant P90 loadout.
Here are the DedSec abilities:
- Lockout (Ultra) – disable the enemies’ HUD, mini map, and abilities in the affected area
- Fabricator (Passive) – after a device is deployed, the Fabricator prints a new one
- Spiderbot (Ability) – deploy a SpiderBot that will target and stun the nearest enemy
- Hijack (Ability) – hack enemy-deployed abilities and make them your own
And that’s all the XDefiant classes you can play as, from sneaky super spies to stalwart defensive operators. Don’t miss out on the XDefiant Twitch Drops that can give you exclusive in-game rewards to customise your style.