Destiny 2 Commendations are a social system that allows you to recognise and reward your fellow Guardians. Introduced in Lightfall and available to everyone, they allow you to send your thanks to other players for helping you through content, as well as build up a name for yourself while playing.
The more Commendations you have, the more trustworthy you are as a player, either when it comes to being a good ally, mastering content, leading other players, or just having fun in Destiny 2. So if you are exploring Destiny 2 Neomuna, playing PvP or just looking to kill and defeat Destiny 2 Tormentors, you will want to consider trying to earn Commendations.
Destiny 2 Commendations explained
Destiny 2 Commendations are recognition of a Guardian’s achievements and collaborative abilities while playing the game that you can both hand out and receive from other players. They are a part of Destiny 2’s ongoing social systems and evolution to make it easier to play together and reward each other.
Commendations can be found in the Journey menu of the Destiny 2 pause screen. You can view the ones you have received as well as the ones you have given out to other players.
Destiny 2 Commendations types
There are a total of 15 Commendations in Destiny 2:
- Indispensable – Essential to the team’s success (Ally)
- Selfless – Put the needs of others above self and left no one behind (Ally)
- Thoughtful – Considerate, kind, and helpful (Ally)
- Patient and Considerate – Grounded the team with fortitude and compassion (Ally)
- Joy Bringer – Enriched the game with their presence (Fun)
- Level-Headed – Kept it cool despite how intense things were (Fun)
- Saint’s Favorite – Put the needs of others above self and left no one behind (Fun)
- Best Dressed – The best looking Guardian in the team (Fun)
- Playmaker – Led the offence for the team (Mastery)
- Primeval Instinct – Led the offence for the team (Mastery) [description seems to be wrong in-game]
- Heroic – Showcased courage in the face of danger and pushed the team to success (Mastery)
- Pacesetter – Key strategist, communicated well and rallied the team together (Mastery)
- Perceptive – Strong situational awareness and observant of the team’s needs (Leadership)
- Knowledgeable – Seasoned and well-informed of the activity, equipment, and classes of Destiny 2 (Leadership)
Not all of these Commendations can be handed out in all modes. A number of them are limited to high-end activities like Raids, Dungeons, Trials of Osiris, and more. So, you will only be able to hand out the ones which are relevant to the mode you are playing.
How to get Commendations in Destiny 2 and how to give Commendations in Destiny 2
To get Commendations in Destiny 2, you just have to wait to receive one at the end of a matchmade activity. To give Commendations, select a player in the end-of-activity screen during a matchmade activity and then pick the Commendation you want to hand out.
This screen is a brand new screen introduced in Destiny 2 Lightfall and is available throughout the entire game, even if you don’t own the expansion. So, make use of Commendations and show respect and gratitude for your fellow Guardians who might help you out in an activity.
That is everything you need to know about Destiny 2 Commendations. If you want to be just as respected as your teammates, take a look at some of our guides. These include our Destiny 2 best weapons guide and Destiny 2 Titan build, Destiny 2 Hunter build, and Destiny 2 Warlock build guides.