In Battlefield games of years gone by, players were forced to pick weapons that suited the class they opted to play. However, in Battlefield 2042, players, regardless of their chosen role, will be able to run around with whatever gun they please, thanks to the new specialists system.
Specialists are individual characters you can take into battle, each housed within one of Battlefield’s four staple roles and equipped with unique traits and equipment. There will be a total of ten Battlefield 2042 specialists at launch, and the details of four of them have been revealed already following the reveal trailer. While the game will launch with ten specialists, a new one will drop at the beginning of each content season in Battlefield 2042, meaning there will always be regular shakeups to the specialist lineup.
So if you, like us, are hyped for the Battlefield 2042 release date, and keen to know more about how the new specialist system works, then read on.
Here’s everything you need to know about Battlefield 2042 specialists, including their unique traits, speciality equipment, roles, and more.
What are Specialists in Battlefield 2042?
In Battlefield 2042, specialists are unique characters with their own roles and specific traits that you chose to play as. There are ten of them in total, spanning across the four roles of Assault, Support, Recon, and Engineer.
Each specialist has a speciality (which is tied to their role, as in all Assault characters have the same speciality) and a trait (which is unique to them, and no other character in the game has).
Battlefield 2042 specialists
So far, four of the ten specialists in Battlefield 2042 have been revealed. Once more are confirmed, we’ll add them to this guide.
Webster Mackay (Assault)
- Speciality: Grappling Hook – Fires a rope that attaches to surfaces. When attached, the rope is retracted and the player gets pulled towards the attach point
- Trait: Nimble – Allows the player to move more quickly while aiming down sights, further enhancing their speed-related advantages
Maria Falck (Support)
- Speciality: S21 Syrette Pistol – Fires a syringe at friendlies to provide healing. If fired at an enemy, the syringe will do damage
- Trait: Combat Surgeon – Allows the player to return downed allies to combat with full health when reviving
Pyotr ‘Boris’ Guskovsky (Engineer)
- Speciality: SG-36 Sentry System – Automatically spots and engages enemy targets detected within a certain area
- Trait: Sentry Operator – Spots the enemy target when the sentry gun locks on to the enemy in question
Wikus ‘Casper’ van Daele (Recon)
- Speciality: OV-P Recon Drone – Spots nearby moving targets and can disorient enemies by using EMP blasts. Can also designate targets for lock-on weapons
- Trait: Movement Sensor – Alerts the player to approaching enemies, both while boots on the ground and while piloting the Recon Drone
That’s all the info we have on specialists right now, but as more are revealed and added throughout the course of Battlefield 2042, we’ll keep this guide updated for you.
With so much variety, it looks like players will be faced with plenty of tough decisions around which specialist they want to take into each of the Battlefield 2042 maps.