In Battlefield games of years gone by, players were forced to pick weapons that suited the class they opted to play. However, in Battlefield 2042, players, regardless of their chosen role, will be able to run around with whatever gun they please, thanks to the new specialists system.
Specialists are individual characters you can take into battle, each housed within one of Battlefield’s four staple roles and equipped with unique traits and equipment. There will be a total of ten Battlefield 2042 specialists at launch, and the details of four of them have been revealed already. While the game will launch with ten specialists, a new one will drop at the beginning of each content season in Battlefield 2042, meaning there will always be regular shakeups to the specialist lineup.
So if you, like us, are hyped for the Battlefield 2042 release date, and keen to know more about how the new specialist system works, then read on.
Here’s everything you need to know about Battlefield 2042 specialists, including their unique traits, speciality equipment, roles, and more.
What are Specialists in Battlefield 2042?
In Battlefield 2042, specialists are unique characters with their own roles and specific traits that you chose to play as. There are ten of them in total, spanning across the four roles of Assault, Support, Recon, and Engineer.
Each specialist has a speciality (which is tied to their role) and a trait (which is unique to them). These specialties and traits cannot be changed, so only one specialist will be able to use the wingsuit, only one will be able to use the grappling hook, and so on, so forth.
However, you will be able to customise loadouts for each and every Battlefield 2042 specialist. Since classes no longer restrict what weapons you can carry onto the battlefield, you’ll be able to customise your primary and secondary weapons, equipment, and throwables for each character.
While this, in theory, means everyone in your four-man squad could carry RPGs, you do have to consider your role on the battlefield when choosing your loadouts. Opting for explosive firepower in your equipment slot means you won’t be able to carry a Medical or Supply crate – giving your team less options and less time on the objective.
Battlefield 2042 specialists
So far, five of the ten specialists in Battlefield 2042 have been revealed. Once more are confirmed, we’ll add them to this guide.
Webster Mackay (Assault)
- Speciality: Grappling Hook – Fires a rope that attaches to surfaces. When attached, the rope is retracted and the player gets pulled towards the attach point
- Trait: Nimble – Allows the player to move more quickly while aiming down sights, further enhancing their speed-related advantages
Maria Falck (Support)
- Speciality: S21 Syrette Pistol – Fires a syringe at friendlies to provide healing. The pistol won’t revive friendlies at range, just heal them. If fired at an enemy, the syringe will do damage
- Trait: Combat Surgeon – Allows the player to return downed allies to combat with full health when reviving
Pyotr ‘Boris’ Guskovsky (Engineer)
- Speciality: SG-36 Sentry System – Automatically spots and engages enemy targets detected within a certain area
- Trait: Sentry Operator – Spots the enemy target when the sentry gun locks on to the enemy in question
Wikus ‘Casper’ van Daele (Recon)
- Speciality: OV-P Recon Drone – Spots nearby moving targets and can disorient enemies by using EMP blasts. Can also designate targets for lock-on weapons
- Trait: Movement Sensor – Alerts the player to approaching enemies, both while boots on the ground and while piloting the Recon Drone
Kimble ‘Irish’ Graves (engineer)
- Speciality: Fortification System – Includes the DCS Deployable Dover to protect from bullets and explosives, and the APS-36 Shootdown Sentinel to take down explosive projectiles.
- Trait: Veteran – Provides armour, with additional bonuses from downed enemies
You can also see some of the gameplay from four of the Specialists in Battlefield 2042 below:
— Battlefield (@Battlefield) September 3, 2021
How many Battlefield 2042 specialists can you have in a squad?
Squads in Battlefield 2042 consist of four-players and in All Out Warfare, squads can contain more than one unique specialist.
It’s unclear how the specialists will work in the two other Battlefield 2042 modes though.
How can you differentiate between Battlefield 2042 specialists?
Working out who’s who on the battlefield can be pretty tough, especially if two teams are using the same specialists. However, EA says the coloured icons highlighting your team, squad, and enemies will return alongside some new systems that the development team is still testing.
There are also the options of customising Battlefield 2042 specialists through skins, allowing you to alter your character’s appearance over time. EA has also confirmed cross-progression and cross-commerce will be featured, meaning you can carry your skins over to each and every platform you decide to play on.
That’s all the info we have on specialists right now, but as more are revealed and added throughout the course of Battlefield 2042, we’ll keep this guide updated for you. For now though, check out the Battlefield 2042 cross-play details and the Battlefield 2042 maps.
If that’s got you pumped, make sure to preorder.