Who are the Redfall characters, what are they doing in Redfall, and what kind of skills does each one have? Here, Arkane Studios has introduced us to four new heroes, a band of mates trying to save Redfall from its supernatural situation.
Each one has a unique personality, with particular backstories that shape their attitudes and a suite of special abilities that make them every vampire’s worst nightmare. Learning each of the Redfall heroes’ strengths will let you and your group shape your party as you see fit, even if it means multiple instances of the same characters. And the Redfall voice actors and cast behind these characters are just as exciting. In that spirit, here’s an introduction to each one.
Redfall characters list
The Redfall characters you can play as are:
- Jacob Boyer – The deadeye with an undead eye
- Devinder ‘Dev’ Crousley – The verified cryptid hunter
- Remi De La Rosa – The ingenious Ingeniera
- Layla Ellison – The telekinetic threat in student debt
Jacob is the long-range specialist of the group, using precision and the ability to hide from enemies to catch them off-guard. Canonically a sniper, he developed his sniper abilities in Special Forces and as a private military mercenary, with his official bio saying it was a job with “one such corporation that brought his unit to Redfall under mysterious orders known only to his superiors.”
Jacob’s abilities as a sharpshooter are further enhanced by his “Undead Eye,” giving him more precise targeting abilities, as well as a cloaking device that allows him to get into position for some supernatural sniping. If enemies get too close for a sniper rifle to be effective, Jacob can also conjure up an ethereal raven to distract foes and allow his teammates to close in while he finds a new position.
Jacob’s abilities are:
- Raven – Command your raven to fly forward and mark enemies. Holding the corresponding button will make the raven scan for enemies near you while remaining on his arm
- Cloak – Activate Jacob’s stolen Bellwether Cloak to hide from enemies. Attacking will deactivate cloak and allow enemies to see Jacob again
- Heartstopper – Summon a ghostly rifle. Use the sights to lock onto enemies, then fire to deal heavy damage
Devinder ‘Dev’ Crousley
Devinder is a popular influencer in Redfall’s universe, specializing in the field of “cryptozoology,” which sounds like the study of Bitcoin becoming a living animal, but is actually centred around the pursuit of cryptids like Sasquatch or the Loch Ness Monster. While this initially sounds like he may be ill-equipped for battle against actual monsters, Dev has a few tricks up his sleeve thanks to his loadout of self-made weapons.
Dev is a skilled inventor as “his studies have granted him the knowledge he needs to craft his own anti-vampire weaponry” according to his official bio. Among the most impressive weapons in Dev’s arsenal is a staff that emits bursts of ultraviolet light, immediately turning all basic vampires in its vicinity into ash. Using this to clear out a big group of vampires whenever they get too close is invaluable throughout the game, so learning his staff will be very important very quickly.
Devinder’s abilities are:
- Arc Javelin – Throw a javelin into enemies or surfaces to create a lightning hazard that will zap nearby enemies
- Translocate – Toss out a translocation beacon you can teleport to by pressing the corresponding button a second time. Allies can use the translocate terminal you leave behind to follow you
- Blacklight – Use Devinder’s heavily-modified camera rig to create a powerful burst of UV light that petrified vampires and staggers human enemies
Remi De La Rosa
Remi is an engineer specializing in robotics, having brought that expertise to the Coast Guard in order to help develop new search-and-rescue technology. A fateful mission to Redfall just before the vampire invasion sealed her fate, and now she must put that robotics knowledge to good use in order to take out the hordes. Luckily for us, she’s already done that.
Remi is joined by a small robot companion named Bribón, which means “rascal” in Spanish, and it is a highly advanced robot designed to be a decoy, cover and attack drone all in one. She can send the robot into battle in front of her, serving as a distraction so she can take out enemies from the side or behind.
Remi’s abilities are:
- C4 Charge – Toss an explosive device that sticks to targets and surfaces. Once armed press the corresponding button to detonate
- Siren – Command Bribónto distract nearby enemies, making himself a target and absorbing damage
- Mobilize – Create a rallying point where you and your allies are healed over time.
Finally, we have Layla, perhaps the most relatable of the four heroes. Layla came to Redfall to study biomedical engineering, and while she ended up with a degree, she also accrued a lot of student debt. She volunteered for a clinical trial to earn some extra money, reporting for a treatment just as the vampire legion attacked. She was knocked out, and when she finally came to, she found herself in a new world with a brand-new set of superpowers.
Layla’s trademark purple telekinetics allow her to manipulate the environment around her, pushing and pulling objects with her powers, generating shields, and more. She also wields a massive umbrella charged with kinetic energy.
Layla’s abilities are:
- Lift – Summon a psychic lift that launches you into the air.
- Umbrella – Summon a psychic umbrella to block enemy and friendly projectiles. Press the corresponding button to release a psychic blast that damages enemies.
- Vampire Ex-Boyfriend – Call in a favour from your ex-boyfriend, Jason, who happens to be a vampire.
That’s everything you need to know about the Redfall characters if you are jumping in and playing. For more on the game, check out our overview of the deadly Redfall weapons and what you can expect from the Redfall map, plus even more guides in our Redfall walkthrough article.