The Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom Hylian Shield might just be the strongest and sturdiest shield in the game. The good news is that it can be yours quite early in the campaign. Our guide tells you where to find it, as well as the benefits that it provides.
The Hylian Shield isn’t just the only unique item that can be yours, though. As you journey all over the massive game world, you might also uncover some secrets. For instance, it certainly looks great when paired with the Tears of the Kingdom Master Sword. Moreover, you can find items that reference other games, such as the Tears of the Kingdom Majora’s Mask.
How to get the Hylian Shield in Zelda Tears of the Kingdom
The Hylian Shield In Tears of the Kingdom can be found in the Hyrule Castle Docks after unlocking the Lookout Landing Skyview Tower.
Here’s the thing: you can get it quite early on. There are no other quest requirements other than leaving the Great Sky Island and unlocking the Lookout Landing Skyview Tower after meeting with Captain Hoz. We’ve marked the Hylian Shield’s location on the map below:
Once you have access to your first Skyview Tower, it’s time to acquire the item in question. Here’s what you need to do:
- Make sure you have at least one bow and a Fire Fruit. Alternatively, have a means of lighting a fire, such as Wood and Flint.
- Use the Lookout Landing launch pad and glide across the sky. Your goal here is to land as close as possible to the floating Hyrule Castle in the distance.
- If that’s not possible yet, don’t fret. We also recommend landing on the grassy hills behind the castle (such as the northern hillside). Don’t under any circumstances, drop all the way down into the Chasm.
- In the northern portion of the castle exterior, you should see a place marker for the docks. Go ahead and glide there, whereupon you’ll notice the entrance to a cave.
- Once you’ve reached the area, beware of the Gloom substance that’s leaking out, as the liquid will lock out your max hearts and prevent those from being healed. You’ll need to head back outside where there’s sunlight or rest on a bed.
In any case, the inner portion of the docks has steps that lead upward. On the landing, you’ll spot a large brazier. We recommend bringing out your bow so you can attach the Fire Fruit to your arrow. Alternatively, you can use other objects to set it ablaze, such as placing Wood and Flint, then striking them to make a fire.
Once the brazier is lit, a chest will spawn. Open it, and you’ll receive the Hylian Shield.
Zelda Tears of the Kingdom Hylian Shield stats
The Zelda Tears of the Kingdom Hylian Shield has a whopping +90 defense stat, making it the best shield in the game. It’s durable enough that it can withstand a lot of hits. However, we advise you that this is still dependent on how powerful an enemy is.
It might take a Bokoblin forever to make a dent through your defenses, but a gigantic boss would still deal some damage to you.
In any case, the Hylian Shield is just one of many unique items that you can discover in the game and now you know how to get the Zelda Tears of the Kingdom Hylian Shield. For more information about the game, you can visit our Tears of the Kingdom walkthrough, as well as get an idea of what else awaits on the Tears of the Kingdom maps in the game.