Weapon Techniques are a brand new suite of abilities for Aloy in Horizon Forbidden West that allow her to use weapons in the game in new ways, making them more powerful. These abilities can also make Aloy stronger in certain situations, matching your playstyle.
Every weapon type in the game has a Weapon Technique, including all the best weapons in Horizon Forbidden West and some of the new weapons like the Spike Thrower. But the strongest ones enhance the returning weapons in new ways that really elevate their power, especially against larger combat machines. Some of these techniques are also strong against human combatants, especially those for the three different bow types in the game. In fact, they are so good the whole category makes it onto our Horizon Forbidden West best skills list.
But, how do you activate these weapon techniques and which ones are available for each weapon type? Well, this article has everything you need to know about Horizon Forbidden West’s Weapon Techniques.
Horizon Forbidden West Weapon Techniques
Horizon Forbidden West’s Weapon Techniques can be found within the game’s skill tree and are unlocked with skill points.
Weapon Techniques can be used by using the shoulder buttons on the controller and the triggers, with different combinations being used for different weapons. For example, you might be asked to hold L2 to aim and then press R1 to fire a powerful shot from on one knee.
Here are all the Horizon Forbidden West Weapon Techniques split across the different weapons in the game and which skill tree they belong to:
- Burst Fire – Fire three arrows of your currently selected type in a quick burst. (Warrior skill tree)
- Melee Detonator – Fire a special arrows that attaches to an enemy for a limited time. Detonate it with a melee attack to deal extra damage. Multiple arrows can be attached for a stronger explosion. (Warrior skill tree)
- Spread Shot – Fire five arrows in a horizontal spread. Hold longer before firing for a tighter spread. (Warrior skill tree)
- High Volley – Fire a high-arching volley of arrows to rain down on your enemies. (Hunter skill tree)
- Triple Notch – Load up to 3 arrows of your currently selected type. Fire normally to release all arrows simultaneously. (Hunter skill tree)
- Knockdown Shot – Fire a special arrows that does no damage but can stagger or knock down machines. (Hunter skill tree)
- Braced Shot – Fire a powerful shot from a kneeling position. (Infiltrator skill tree)
- Double Notch – Load a second arrow of your currently selected type. Fire normally to release both arrows simultaneously. (Infiltrator skill tree)
- Focused Shot – Increase your weapon’s zoom while aiming and fire a powerful shot that deals extra damage. (Infiltrator skill tree)
- Quick Wire – Quickly launch a Tripwire of your currently selected type with a preset length. Wire explodes or deactivates after a limited time. (Trapper skill tree)
- Penetrating Rope – Fire a rope that can attach to any part of an enemy, including armor, without needing to fully draw the weapon. (Trapper skill tree)
- Spread Blast – Fire 8 bolts of your currently selected type in a wide, short-range spread. (Hunter skill tree)
- Sustained Burst – Unleash an entire clip of bolts while immobile. (Hunter skill tree)
- Ultra Shot – Fire a burst of special explosive bolts that can hit targets at long range. (Hunter skill tree)
- Bouncing Bomb – Fire an explosive bomb that becomes more powerful with each bounce, up to a maximum of 3 bounces. (Survivor skill tree)
- Burst Dodge – Lob a burst of bombs in front of you while automatically dodging backwards. (Survivor skill tree)
- Sticky Bomb – Fire a mob of your currently selected type that sticks to its target and explodes after a delay. Attach multiple bombs to deal extra damage. (Survivor skill tree)
- Spike Trap – Launch a spike that becomes a trap on impact with the environment. (Machine Master skill tree)
- Propelled Spike – Launch a powerful long-range spike that explodes on impact or when landing close to a target. (Machine Master skill tree)
- Splitting Spike – Launch a spike that splits into multiple projects to impact a larger area. (Machine Master skill tree)
- Triple Shredder – Launch 3 shredders of your currently selected type. Only 1 shredder can be caught and reused. (Survivor skill tree)
- Shredder Mine – Launch a shredder that ricochets off its point of contact before hovering in place, dealing Shock damage to targets within range for a limited time. (Survivor skill tree)
- Power Shredder – Launch a special shredder that deals extra damage to a target. Shredder does not return after impact. (Survivor skill tree)
That covers all there is to know about this new mechanic in Horizon Forbidden West. For more on the game’s weapons and skill tree, check out our rundown of the best Valor Surges in Horizon Forbidden West.