Zombie modes have been a staple in Call of Duty since World at War, and a series of leaked voice lines have confirmed that an army of the undead will soon arrive in Verdansk, too. It’s about time, as CoD and zombies go together like turkeys and Christmas dinner: they’re just meant to be together, in a strange and hyper-violent way.
If you find the battle royale genre to be going a bit stale, perhaps the addition of rabid zombies will spice things up for you. All seasoned battle royale players will know to stay out of the gas, but now it acts as super-serum for zombies, there’s even more reason to keep well away.
Recent leaks suggest killed players will become infected and join the zombie “team”, but can still be bought back – we assume by antidote – at buy stations. However, it also looks like being the last fighter standing won’t be the only win condition in Verdansk. Completing other objectives will bring new flavour to Warzone, and you might even be able to get extracted from the arena by helicopter.
It’s time to don your best Warzone loadout to take on hordes of undead as they pour through Stadium, clamber up the vertical walls of Dam or otherwise ambush you as you try to navigate the apocalyptic streets of Verdansk.
It is clear that Call of Duty: Warzone is borrowing ideas from other games in the genre – zombies from PUBG and helicopter extraction from failed STALKER battle royale Fear The Wolves. Yes, it can be argued that PUBG borrowed their zombie ideas from Call of Duty in the first place, but such is the nature of shooting games. What’s important is that, like with most things battle royale, Infinity Ward will perfect these ideas into an exciting new mode for the genre-defining Warzone.
Here is the full list of voice lines:
- “Zombie Royale.”
- “Zombies are not effected by the gas.”
- “Caution, zombies are immune to the gas.”
- “Be careful, zombies are more powerful in the gas.”
- “Kill them all.”
- “Defend the chopper.”
- “Final stand. Stay alive.”
- “Chopper is down, fight your way out.”
- “Extraction failed. Fight for your life.”
- “Extract failed. Fight for your life.”
- “Consume enough remains to respawn as a human.”
- “You’ll become zombie if you die. A member of your team has to be human for extraction.”
- “Last human team standing wins.”
- “The dead will become zombies. Be the last human team standing to win.”
- “You’re out, but your teammates can still buy you back.”
- “Zombie teammate killed.”
- “Raise the dead at Buy Stations.”
- “You need to keep one person on your team alive.”
- “You have regained your humanity.”
- “You’ll become a zombie but you can still help your team take down the enemy.”
- “Consume the remains of the dead to regain your humanity.”
- “Zombies have special traits and abilities.”
- “Use your zombie abilities to kill human players.”
- “Your teammate has regained their humanity.”
- “Your teammate is a zombie.”
- “Your teammate is a zombie. Help them regain their humanity.”
- “Charlie Alpha One Two, they’re all dead. Only they’re not dead… they’re not dead. Oh god… what have we done? You need to destroy the samples. Enter the correction code that will sterilize all the labs. Just remember…”
- “This is station Charlie Alpha One Two, we’re under attack by some crazed, deformed assailants. We’ve lost Hurtz to one of them.”
- “This is station Charlie Alpha One Two, we’re under attack by some crazed, deformed assailants. We’ve lost Volkov to one of them.”
- “Charlie Alpha One Two here. Hurtz he… he was dead. We were sure he was dead. But he got up. He killed Santos and Kerney before we could take him down. Headshots seem to be the one sure way.”
- “Charlie Alpha One Two here. Volkov he… he was dead. We were sure he was dead. But he got up. He killed Santos and Kerney before we could take him down. Headshots seem to be the one sure way.”
As with any good zombie mode, you’ll need to aim for the head to have any chance of escaping the horde. However, with other players intent on scooping out your brains to regain their humanity and claim victory, that could be easier said than done.
There is no official word on Warzone’s zombie mode, nor a release date. With voice lines already in the game files, there’s a good chance it will drop early in Modern Warfare Season 6, which kicks off on September 29.