When is MSI 2023? The Mid-Seasonal Invitational is a chance for the very best League of Legends teams, regardless of their region, to go toe-to-toe with each other ahead of the World Championship later on in the year. And this year’s tournament, MSI 2023, is stacking up to be one of the most interesting yet.
And there’s a good reason for that. The tournament for one of the best MOBA games, which is widely regarded as the second most important international tournament in the League of Legends Esports circuit, has had some changes this year, raising the stakes even further. Here’s everything you need to know about MSI 2023.
When is MSI 2023?
MSI 2023 will take place from May 2, 2023 until May 21, 2023. However, what takes place when, depends on what stage the tournament is at.
The Play-In Stage takes place from May 2-7 and the Bracket Stage takes place from May 9-14 and May 16-21.
The kick off times for each day are as follows:
- Tuesday, May 2 (5am PDT / 8am EDT /1pm BST)
- Wednesday, May 3 (5am PDT / 8am EDT /1pm BST)
- Thursday, May 4 (5am PDT / 8am EDT /1pm BST)
- Friday, May 5 (5am PDT / 8am EDT /1pm BST)
- Saturday, May 6 (4am PST / 7am EDT / 12pm BST)
- Sunday, May 7 (4am PST / 7am EDT / 12pm BST)
- Tuesday, May 9 (5am PDT / 8am EDT /1pm BST)
- Wednesday, May 10 (5am PDT / 8am EDT /1pm BST)
- Thursday, May 11 (5am PDT / 8am EDT /1pm BST)
- Friday, May 12 (5am PDT / 8am EDT /1pm BST)
- Saturday, May 13 (4am PST / 7am EDT / 12pm BST)
- Sunday, May 14 (4am PST / 7am EDT / 12pm BST)
- Tuesday, May 16 (5am PDT / 8am EDT /1pm BST)
- Wednesday, May 17 (5am PDT / 8am EDT /1pm BST)
- Thursday, May 18 (5am PDT / 8am EDT /1pm BST)
- Friday, May 19 (5am PDT / 8am EDT /1pm BST)
- Saturday, May 20 (4am PST / 7am EDT / 12pm BST)
- Sunday, May 21 (4am PST / 7am EDT / 12pm BST)
MSI 2023 location
MSI 2023 is taking place at the Copper Box Arena in London, United Kingdom.
It is the first time MSI has been hosted in the UK.
MSI 2023 format
There’s been a change to the MSI format for this year, so if you’re planning on watching the tournament, listen closely.
For the Play-In Stage, the teams from the PCS, CBLOL, LJL, LLA, VCS, and the second seeds from the LPL, LCS, and LEC will fight for three spots in the Bracket Stage. These eight teams will be split into two best-of-three double elimination brackets.
Those who go 2-0 will advance directly to the Bracket Stage, but the teams that go 0-2 and the teams that finish 1-2 will be eliminated from the tournament.
The teams that finish 201 and win the lower bracket in their group will play each other in a best-of-five series, with the winner advancing to the Bracket Stage.
Here’s what the initial draw for the Play-In Stage looks like:
For the Bracket Stage, we’re looking at a double elimination, best-of-five bracket. This will include the three winners of the Play-Ins, along with two teams from LCK and the the top seeds from the LEC, LCS, and LPL.
The draw for this stage will take place after the Play-Ins end.
MSI 2023 teams
Every region has a representative at MSI and the teams for 2023 are as follows:
- JDG Intel Esports Club (LPL)
- Bilibili Gaming Pingan Bank (LPL)
- Gen.G (LCK)
- T1 (LCK)
- MAD Lions (LEC)
- G2 Esports (LEC)
- Cloud9 (LCS)
- Golden Guardians (LCS)
- PSG Talon (PCS)
- Loud (CBLOL)
- Detonation FocusMe (LJL)
- Movistar R7 (LLA)
- GAM Esports (VCS)
MSI 2023 drops
This year, Riot Games is giving viewers the chance to earn MSI 2023 drops. These rewards include a new set of emotes – including that exclusive Inkshadow Master Yi emote – and icons to mark the occasion.
To be in with a chance of picking up an MSI drop, you’ll need to be logged into LoL Esports with your Riot ID tune into the tournament from May 2-May 21.
Previous MSI winners
These are all the teams who have won the Mid-Seasonal Invitational:
|2016||SK Telecom T1||South Korea|
|2017||SK Telecom T1||South Korea|
|2018||Royal Never Give Up||China|
|2021||Royal Never Give Up||China|
|2022||Royal Never Give Up||China|
That’s everything you need to know about MSI, ahead of the tournament in London this year. If you’re curious to see how you’d stack up the pros, test your mettle and attempt to climb the LoL ranks while you’ve got time.