Call of Duty comes out once a year (usually) and there’s nothing new this year, as we’re ready to get our hitmarkers on again. However, Modern Warfare 2 already has landed hot, despite making some big changes with the Modern Warfare 2 Perks.
Modern Warfare 2 Perks include some of the same ones that series veterans will have seen before, but we’re also getting new ones and changes to the way you use Perks in Modern Warfare 2. Those changes come in the form of Perk Packages, which change how you can equip them within your loadout of the best guns and weapons.
Modern Warfare 2 Perks
All the Modern Warfare 2 Perks are as follows, split into Base, Bonus, and Ultimate perks:
- Overkill – Carry two primary weapons (Base Perk)
- Double Time – Double the duration of Tactical Sprint and increases crouch movement speed by 30% (Base Perk)
- Battle Hardened – Reduce the effect of enemy flash, stun, EMP, gas grenades, and shock sticks and makes you immune to snapshot grenades (Base Perk)
- Scavenger – Resupply ammo and throwing knives from dead players (Base Perk)
- Bomb Squad – Take reduced damage from non-killstreak explosives. Reset fuze timers when picking up live grenades (Base Perk)
- Tracker – Enemies leave behind a footprint trail, and enemy death markers are visible. Kill markers are hidden from the enemy team (Base Perk)
- Strong Arm – Throw equipment farther and see a preview of the trajectory (Base Perk)
- Extra Tactical – Spawn with an additional tactical (Base Perk)
- Resupply – Spawn with an additional lethal. Equipment recharges over 25 seconds (Bonus Perk)
- Spotter – Spot enemy equipment, field upgrades, and killstreaks through walls. Aiming down sights highlights them for the team. Hack enemy claymores, proximity mines, C4, and trophy systems (Bonus Perk)
- Cold Blooded – Undetectable by AI targeting systems, and thermal optics. Does not trigger High Alert warning. Does not highlight in enemy tactical cameras, recon drones, and spotter scopes (Bonus Perk)
- Fast Hands – Reload, use equipment, and swap weapons faster (Bonus Perk)
- Hardline – Reduce Killstreak cost by one (1) kill. Reduce Scorestreak cost by 125 (Bonus Perk)
- Focus – Reduce flinch when aiming down sights and extend Hold Breath duration (Bonus Perk)
- High Alert – Vision pulses when spotted by an enemy player outside of view (Ultimate Perk)
- Ghost – Undetectable by UAVs, Portable Radars, and Heartbeat Sensors (Ultimate Perk)
- Quick Fix – Killing players immediately triggers health regeneration and capturing and holding objectives increases health regeneration rate (Bonus Perk)
- Overclock – Store an additional field upgrade charge. Increase field upgrade charge rate by 40%. On earning this perk, get a field upgrade charge (Ultimate Perk)
- Survivor – On death, enter Last Stand with the ability to self-revive once per life and teammates can revive downed players faster (Ultimate Perk)
- Bird’s Eye – The minimap is zoomed out. UAV and Radar pings reveal the enemy’s direction and on earning it enemies are pinged on the minimap (Ultimate Perk)
So as you can see there is a pretty large variety of perks this year but they are being approached in a brand new way which is discussed below with Perk Packages.
Modern Warfare 2 Perk Packages and how they work
Perks have had a revamp in Modern Warfare 2. In Modern Warfare 2 perks can be built into groups in the form of Perk Packages. These are themed around a specific playstyle or can be made yourself. You can save up to 5 perk packages when creating a loadout.
You can equip two perks within the base perk slot. These are unlocked right from the get-go and they will be activated at the beginning of the match. Then the Bonus Perks are unlocked at four minutes into a team-based match, while the third category, Ultimate Perks, is unlocked eight minutes into a match.
These perks can actually be unlocked quicker as every 10 points you earn will shave a second off of that timer. This means that at a base level you only have two perks in a match, but can expand and get more providing the match lasts long enough or you rack up points from kills and playing the objective.
That’s everything we know about the Modern Warfare 2 Perks. If you’re looking for more information on the Activision shooter, then you can read our weapon customisation guide to see all ways in which you can modify your guns. You can also learn all about the new Gunsmith features with our Gunsmith guide.