Following the extremely rocky launch of Battlefield 2042, EA has revealed that a massive shakeup is underway and that it is looking ahead to build a large “connected Battlefield universe” spanning multiple games and experiences.
Speaking to GameSpot, EA not only confirms plans for expanding the scope of the Battlefield franchise but also reveals that Vince Zampella – the co-founder and current head of Apex Legends developer Respawn Entertainment – will also now be overseeing the future direction of Battlefield. He will, however, retain his role overseeing Respawn and Apex Legends.
EA’s chief operating officer, Laura Miele, tells GameSpot that Zampella “creates culture-defining entertainment that resonates beyond games. We are bringing one of the most influential and talented individuals in entertainment to a franchise that is ready to be unleashed into the modern era of gaming.” She adds that “no one knows shooters and live services better than Vince.”
Zampella himself says that the Battlefield franchise is “rich with opportunity”. While 2042 will continue to be heavily improved and supported on all fronts, work appears to have already begun on expanding that universe. We already knew that Ripple Effect, the studio that developed 2042’s Portal mode, is already working on a new game, and the previously announced Battlefield Mobile game is on the way in the near future. But EA also confirms that a new studio being formed by ex-Halo designer Marcus Lehto is working on “expanding the narrative, storytelling, and character development opportunities in the Battlefield series.”
“We believe in 2042 as it is the cornerstone for the future as we begin work to expand the universe,” Miele says. “As a whole, we’re all-in on Battlefield. It is one of the most important and valuable franchises in the industry. Collectively, we are out to unlock its enormous potential.”
Our vision for Battlefield starts with our commitment to 2042 and grows beyond that into a new future. Hear more about our road ahead with Vince Zampella and others in a new interview.https://t.co/ZdKqQOMVuz
— Battlefield (@Battlefield) December 2, 2021
In another key personnel change for the franchise, the vacancy being left by departing DICE General Manager Oskar Gabrielson – who has been with the developer for close to a decade – will be filled by Rebecka Coutaz. Coutaz joins after holding the position of studio director at Ubisoft Annecy, where she oversaw the development of games such as STEEP and most recently Rider’s Republic.
While not directly a result of Battlefield 2042’s underwhelming launch, the timing of the announcement that these huge shifts in direction and personnel are happening appear linked. With these changes only just taking place, there are next to no details on how this extended Battlefield universe will take shape and it will likely be years before we see the plans come to fruition.
Alongside the announcements of its new direction for Battlefield, it was also revealed that smaller 64-player modes would be coming to Battlefield 2042 soon for those on PS5, Xbox Series X|S, and PC.