Know the difference between the LEC and the LCS? How about Halo Infinite and Battlefield 2042? Like your PlayStation as much as your Xbox? Do you know the reason why Guy ‘Dr DisRespect’ Beahm was banned? If you answered yes to any of those questions, you might just be the person we’re looking for.
The Loadout is looking to hire two new UK-based staff writers to work alongside our small, but compact team. With a passion for all things videogames and the culture that surrounds them – whether that’s console gaming, streaming, or esports – you’ll be expected to write news, guides, features, reviews, and more about the latest and greatest games.
The ideal candidate will have plenty of experience with console or competitive games, or have an interest in the ever-growing world of esports. You’ll be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, either at home or in our office in Bath, UK, and you’ll be eager to learn about the world of SEO as you craft your skill as a writer.
These roles are entry-level, and while we don’t require anything specific other than a good knowledge of the world of videogames, we would like to see some writing examples – even if it’s on your own blog. In order to apply for the job, we’d like you to submit your CV, a short covering letter explaining why you’re a good fit for the team, and a 300-400 word news story that you think would suit The Loadout.
Please note that this role is open to remote candidates. All applicants must be able to work UK hours (9:30am to 5:30pm GMT). It’s worth noting that all candidates are encouraged to apply, though we’re particularly eager to hear from writers from BIPOC, LGBTQA+, and other underrepresented backgrounds.
Staff writer – The Loadout
Role: 2 x Staff Writers
Location: Bath, UK / Remote
Application deadline: Wednesday, December 1
- Daily content creation, with a focus on guides, news writing, and original reporting
- Other content creation tasks, including reviews, features, and opinion pieces
- Ensuring consistently high editorial standards across all published content
- Writing ecommerce and sponsored content stories when required
- Uploading stories to site CMS
- Conducting interviews and transcription
- Attending and reporting from industry events
- Maintaining a keen eye on industry developments and competitors
- Building and maintaining relationships with PRs, developers, publishers, community sources etc.
- Ensuring content is optimised for audience growth and discovery, and developing an awareness of best practises to facilitate this
- Adhering to our guidelines for style, tone, and SEO
- Sub-editing the work of others, if required
- Using the company’s workflow tools correctly and effectively, including Asana, GSuite, etc.
- Other as requested by the Deputy Editor or Editor
- The ability to write brilliantly, quickly, and to task across a range of disciplines
- A keen interest in videogames and a good knowledge of gaming culture, with specific reference to console, streaming, competitive gaming and esports, and related communities
- Experience writing and pitching articles
- Proficiency with basic working tools: docs, sheets, task management, etc.
- Proactivity, attention to detail, and excellent organisation
- Previous CMS experience
- Write at least five news stories/two guides/one guide and three news stories per day (unless otherwise agreed with Editor)
These job roles comes with a whole host of Network N perks, including a profit share scheme, 24/7 GP service, Vitality private health care, tech and cycle schemes, and much, much more. If you’re close to Bath, you’ll even have the chance to hot desk from our swanky new offices.
Sounds good, right? If you’re desperate to apply, make sure to send your CV, covering letter, and a 300-400 word news sample to our careers team here.
If you’re looking for something a bit different, that’s ok – our sister sites PCGamesN, Pocket Tactics, and The Digital Fix are all hiring staff writers. You can check out the listings here.
Best of luck!