Do you think you look good in lime green? Well now you’ve got a chance to prove it – The Loadout is looking for a UK-based staff writer to help us find and cover the biggest stories in the competitive gaming and console world.
As you know, esports is our bread and butter, but we cover a whole lot more these days. So if you find yourself watching the biggest esports tournaments and the top streamers, or even working your way through some of the best console games to date, then we want to hear from you.
Our ideal candidate is someone who loves esports and gaming and who knows what a good story looks like. By scouring the internet, diving deep into Reddit threads, and building up relationships with industry professionals, you should know how to craft the perfect story in a timely and accurate manner.
You’ve also got to be willing to get stuck in. We’re a small team that covers an impressive amount of ground, so you’ll be expected to write news, features, and guides in an average week. In return, you’ll be given lots of support and feedback along the way, and taught SEO best practices to make sure you’re well equipped for the job.
Of course, this is an entry-level position, so experience isn’t necessary, but we would love to see some writing samples if you apply – even if they’re links to your personal blog. All eligible candidates are encouraged to apply, though we’re particularly eager to hear from writers from BIPOC, LGBTQ, and other underrepresented backgrounds.
Staff Writer – The Loadout
Location: Bath, UK (also available remotely for UK workers)
Application deadline: Sunday, June 20, 2021 (apply here)
- Content creation: writing news, guides, features, and reviews
- Editorial planning, including sourcing original content
- Sub-editing the work of others, if required
- Liaising with developers, publishers, and PRs
- Conducting interviews and attending press conferences
- Learning and working within in-house guidelines regarding style, tone, and SEO
- Staying on top of SEO best practices and internal process changes
Other as requested by the editor or group editor
Required skills and experience:
- The ability to write brilliantly and quickly
- A keen interest in esports, competitive gaming, streaming, and console gaming
- Experience writing and pitching articles
- Proficiency with basic working tools: Google Docs, Sheets, task management, etc.
- Proactivity, attention to detail, and excellent organisation
- All applicants must have the right to work in the UK by the start of employment
Desirable skills and experience:
- A passion for games like Dota 2, League of Legends, CS:GO, and Apex Legends
- Previous work on major gaming websites, particularly those that cover esports
It’s worth noting that this role comes with a whole host of company perks, including 28 days holiday, a profit share scheme, and more. Oh, and you’ll get to see our lovely faces every day – bonus, right?
So if you’re interested and fancy tossing your hat into the ring, submit your CV, a short covering letter explaining why you’d be a good fit, and a 400-500 word news sample here before the closing date. Best of luck!