Fantastic job opportunities in games media can be few and far between, but here at The Loadout we’re looking for a new site editor to lead the our talented team of writers forward. Whether you’re an experienced head looking for a new project and team to work with, or you’re looking to take a forward step in your games media career, you can find out everything about the role and how you can apply right here.
The Loadout’s long-serving editor Jess moved into an exciting new role at Network N Media this year, and deputy editor Jamie has taken the reins to steer the site through a busy few months. Now, though, we’re looking for someone new to take us above and beyond into 2024 – another big year for gaming.
This role is open to UK applicants only, but is available as either a fully remote or hybrid role. Those of you interested in this as a hybrid role will be able to spend a few days a week working in our lovely Bath-based office; remote workers will also be invited to the office regularly too, don’t worry!
The Loadout’s editor role also comes with a salary of £42,000 and a fantastic range of benefits, such as an extra day off to celebrate something like your birthday (or another special annual event that’s important to you), both a techscheme and a cyclescheme, and a private medical plan through Vitality. We also offer auto-enrolment pension plans and several employee social events you won’t want to miss.
If you’re a fan of console gaming and the latest releases on Xbox and PlayStation, The Loadout is the perfect place for you. It’s important to keep in mind that the closing date for this role is October 31 – a spooky day you should make sure you’re submitting your application before.
Anyway, onto the rest of the details; you can find a full overview of the role and links for applying below. Good luck!
Editor – The Loadout
- Location: Fully remote (within UK only) or Hybrid
- Closing Date: 31 October 2023 (We reserve the right to close this advert early if sufficient number of applications have been received)
- Type: Full-time, Permanent
- Salary: £42,000
We’re looking for an experienced editor and manager to spearhead The Loadout, an exciting Network N Media brand focused on console gaming. You’ll get to manage and develop our talented team of in-house writers; expand and manage our existing pool of freelance writers; ensure all published content is of the highest quality; develop and execute editorial strategies to grow the site; commission work using a freelance budget; and ensure that The Loadout is the preferred destination for console gaming fans.
You’ll coordinate your team across major releases and events, provide regular Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) and content feedback, represent The Loadout at external events, plan and manage content pyramids, build and maintain key relationships with PRs, manufacturers, developers and publishers, and experiment with new content strategies to drive authority of the site and tap into important audiences.
You’ll get to work for one of the fastest growing media businesses in the UK and US, in the ever evolving and exciting world of gaming, technology and geek culture. We have huge ambitions for The Loadout, and we’re looking for someone who is keen to take ownership of the role and spearhead the brand’s growth in a fast-paced and competitive market.
This is the perfect role for an experienced editor who’s looking to take on a fresh challenge.
You will be responsible for:
- Planning and overseeing all published content, ensuring high quality levels and adherence to brand values and guidelines
- Writing evergreen content, including buyers guides, and reviews
- Writing news to drive authority of site and maximise Google News and Discover opportunities
- Developing, executing, and optimising editorial strategies to grow the monthly userbase and pageviews of the website
- Working with Group Editor and senior leadership team to create and implement strategies to improve the output and reach of published content
- Planning and managing content pyramids around key evergreen and ecommerce content, and working with the ecommerce team to achieve this
- Managing The Loadout staff writers, ensuring that they are performing their roles as best as possible and remain happy and motivated
- Ensuring team members are trained and kept up to date on SEO best practices and internal process changes
- Leading weekly 1:1s and team meetings
- Growing and managing a pool of trusted freelancers
- Commissioning work, managing a freelance budget, and ensuring invoices are submitted on time and according to company processes
- Improving the standing of The Loadout in the eyes of both its audience and the industry, through quality content, networking, and outreach
- Building and maintaining relationships with PRs, manufacturers, developers, and publishers
- Representing The Loadout and Network N Media at industry events
- Using the company’s workflow tools correctly and effectively, including Asana, GSuite, etc.
- Other as requested by the Group Editor or senior leadership team
Person specification (skills, knowledge, and behaviours):
- Some experience in management positions, preferably at established online gaming or tech brands
- Ability to write quickly, accurately, and entertainingly to task, preferably with experience writing for a tech or gaming-focused publication
- Knowledge of the gaming industry and a passion for consoles and console gaming (especially PlayStation and Xbox titles)
- Ability to identify and capitalise on emerging trends
- Experience of optimising content for discoverability best practises, across both organic search rankings and Google News
- A keen eye for detail and the ability to quickly check and audit best practice across all content
- Committed to following company processes, and using the company’s workflow tools and resources correctly and effectively, including Asana, GSuite, LinkedIn Learning etc
- A track record of having grown an online audience
- Previous experience managing a team or freelancers
- Inclusive leadership style
- Established contacts book across the gaming industries
- A proactive work ethic, with a drive to succeed and hit shared targets
- Clear ambition and a desire to continually raise the bar
- Meets requirements of MGT 3 on our progression framework
Once again, good luck – we look forward to hearing from you!