Without a Fortnite VPN, you open yourself up to an unfortunate situation. We’ve all been there. You’re just about to win your match of the best battle royale. It’s just you and one other player. They’re in your sights, and you’re about to make the killing shot, then there’s a bit of lag. All of a sudden, they’re behind you. Before the joy of the impending victory has even left your system, you can almost hear them say “unfortunately, you are already dead” and they’d be right.
So how can a Fortnite VPN help you to avoid that situation? What even is a Fortnite VPN? Well, we’re glad you asked, because we’ve got the answers. First of all, you need to understand how your internet service provider (ISP) might be responsible for your gaming lag. If a certain activity is using a lot of bandwidth, your ISP will reduce the connection speeds of that particular activity – and if you’re gaming, that can mean lag.
With a VPN on, your ISP will know that you’re using a lot of bandwidth, but your activities will be masked and so it won’t know exactly what’s causing it, and so it won’t slow anything down. Of course, for console gaming, you’ll need a good Xbox VPN, a PS5 or PS4 VPN, or a router VPN, but once you’ve decided on a provider, all you need to do is follow the instructions below.
How to use a Fortnite VPN to reduce lag
So you’ve just signed up for a VPN subscription, and now you’re thinking, ‘Now what?’ Well, annoyingly, if you’re playing on a console, you won’t be able to download a VPN app directly, and instead will have to go through one of several other methods. We have a guide on how to use a VPN on PS4 or PS5, but if you don’t want to read through that, this is probably the easiest method:
- Download and install your VPN on your laptop
- Connect your laptop to your console with an ethernet cable
- On your Control Panel, click ‘Network and Internet’ and then ‘Network and Sharing Centre’
- Choose ‘Change Adapter Settings’ to the left, and right click on your VPN connection before clicking ‘Properties’
- In the sharing tab, make sure the ‘Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection’ box is ticked
- Under ‘Home Networking Connection’ click on your internet
- If you’re using a PS4: go to ‘Settings’, then ‘Network Settings’, then ‘Set Up Internet Connection’, then ‘Use a LAN cable’, choose the ‘Easy’ connection method, and finally select ‘Do Not Use Proxy Server’ when prompted
- If you’re using a PS5: go to ‘settings’, then ‘Network’, then ‘Set Up Internet Connection’ at which point, it will automatically scan and find your ethernet connection. Finally, you just need to select ‘Do Not Use Proxy Server’ when prompted
- If you’re using an Xbox: go to ‘Settings’, then ‘Network’, then ‘Test Network Connection’ and it should then connect through your laptop
For those who play Fortnite on their PC, the process is much simpler. You just have to click your VPN on the taskbar, and then connect it. However, whether you’re playing on PC or console, the next steps of the process will be the same.
For maximum performance, it’s worth checking which Fortnite server you’re using while you play. Once you have the game open, go to ‘Fortnite Settings’ and then at ‘Matchmaking Region’ you’ll see which region you’re connected through while you play. What you should do is choose a server through your VPN which is close in proximity to the Fortnite server you’re using. Since the data has less distance to travel, this can help everything run more smoothly.
Once this is done, you’re all ready to start enjoying enhanced Fortnite matches. The threat of lag will be much smaller and your games will hopefully be fairer and more enjoyable as a result.
The best Fortnite VPNs
Are you struggling to decide which service to use? Well, we’d recommend any one of the following top three services.
For help with using VPNs with other top games, we also have guides on Warzone VPNs and Dota 2 VPNs. May all your future gaming endeavours be, not only lag-free, but protected with a nice extra layer of privacy too.