Sentinels’ Jay ‘Sinatraa’ Won has received a six-month suspension from competitive Valorant for “failing to cooperate” with a Riot Games investigation, the developer has announced. Riot is currently investigating Sinatraa after allegations of sexual assault were made against the Valorant pro by a former partner.
While Riot says it is no longer investigating Sinatraa after learning that law enforcement was now looking into the accusations, it claims that “the Competitive Operations team had serious concerns with Sinatraa’s conduct during the course of the investigation.” Riot says there were “at least two occasions” where Sinatraa failed to properly cooperate and had even “misrepresented certain facts” and “made false statements.”
Riot also claims that the former Overwatch League MVP failed to provide “the full audio and video clip” that was referenced in the original accusations. This was something he had previously stated he would turn over to Riot. In a statement following the ruling, Sinatraa claims he no longer had the clips in question, saying he deleted them after his relationship with the accuser ended. He also admits he should not have “promised something I could not personally deliver” when saying he could provide that evidence to the investigation.
Due to Sinatraa’s poor cooperation, Riot has issued him with a six-month suspension in relation to Rule 8.1 of the Valorant Global Competition Policy. This rule directly relates to cooperation in internal and external investigations.
“Team Members have a duty to tell the truth in connection with any investigation conducted by or for the Tournament Operator and have a further duty not to obstruct any such investigation, mislead investigators or withhold evidence,” the rulebook reads.
Response regarding investigation
— Jay Won (@sinatraa) May 17, 2021
The six month punishment will include the time Sinatraa has already been suspended. His suspension began on March 10 shortly after the allegations against him. This means Sinatraa’s competitive Valorant ban will end on September 10, 2021, however he must “complete professional conduct training” before he is allowed to compete again.
While this ruling ends the internal investigation, Riot Games warns it could take “further action” against the player should additional information from the law enforcement investigation come to light.