Banned Hearthstone player Blitzchung joins Tempo Storm | The Loadout

Banned Hearthstone player Blitzchung joins Tempo Storm

Hearthstone protest

Hearthstone player Chung ‘Blitzchung’ Ng Wai, who is currently serving a six month ban for his call to liberate Hong Kong during a live tournament broadcast, has been signed by esports organisation Temp Storm.

The US-based organisation announced on November 1 that the Hong Kongese player would be joining them and that the signing “provides support at a critical time to a prolific player.” They also say that Blitzchung will “represent the brand abroad” and continue his training and streaming commitments while he serves his suspension from competitive play.

Tempo Storm CEO Andrey Yanyuk said on the team’s website: “We believe first and foremost in supporting players and encouraging them to engage and to speak out on the things about which they are most passionate. In many ways, we value the character and integrity of our players as much as, if not more than, their tournament placings. Blitzchung brings incredible talent, an infectious personality, and a great deal of enthusiasm, for Hearthstone as well as his community and others around him.”

Blitzchung admitted that he had been seriously considering whether to walk away from competitive Hearthstone, but that the Tempo Storm deal has encouraged him to persevere.

“I had been thinking about whether to continue my Hearthstone career in the past few weeks,” he said. “Since I haven’t reached my professional goals yet, and I don’t want to fall by the wayside, I will start competing again after I am unbanned.”

The suspension of Blitzchung last month sparked a community-wide revolt against Hearthstone developers Blizzard, which saw streams of tournaments become subject to chat spams and even people uninstalling Blizzard titles from their games libraries.

This weekend sees Blizzard’s annual convention, BlizzCon, come to California, but it is expected to be met with physical protests at the Anaheim Convention Centre.