October 4, 2019 EA has since recognised the data breach in a statement via Twitter and are now investigating.
EA has officially confirmed that a technical error with their competitive FIFA 20 registration portal has led to a data breach affecting around 1,600 players.
Just minutes after the registration page went live at 08:00 EST (13:00 BST) on October – 3 alongside information about the upcoming FIFA 20 esports season – players were reporting on social media that they were being presented with other competitors’ personal details when trying to sign up. This included email addresses, dates of birth and player IDs.
Within half an hour, the page was taken down, but thousands of players had already signed in to verify themselves by then, causing widespread concern amongst the competitive community. At 23:00 EST on October 3 (04:00 BST on October 4) EA tweeted out a statement recognising the leak and stating that they were working to keep players’ accounts safe.
In the statement, EA says that “player privacy and security are of the upmost importance to us and we deeply apologise that our players encountered this issue today.”
They also said that player registration would become available again shortly and that they’re “confident” the issue has been fixed.
An update on the EA SPORTS FIFA 20 Global Series registration page issue from October 3. pic.twitter.com/t5R6HwYd3I
— EA SPORTS FIFA (@EASPORTSFIFA) October 4, 2019
Various big names in the FIFA community have been reacting to the news that their data may have been breached.
Australian streamer ‘Crispy’ asked: “This has to be illegal right? People’s accounts, private sensitive data are being leaked?”
Former Hashtag United player Ryan Pessoa managed to find the funny side, despite the serious nature of the breach:
Pros logging on later to see an empty squad with 17 coins left pic.twitter.com/hobIx9NMxL
— Ryan Pessoa (@ryanpessoa_) October 3, 2019
And Maltese pro player Kurt Fenech claimed he’s “suing” after learning about the error.